Thursday, May 6, 2010

Top 100


I went out today and picked up the latest issue of Time Magazine in anticipation of something that I have been excited to look at for quite some time. I am of course talking about the induction of Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins into the Time 100 most influential people of 2010. I had already heard about this before the actual issue was released, and was excited when I first heard, but actually holding the issue open to the picture of Jerry leaning around the back of Mike's head elicits an entire new feeling that makes me proud to call myself a gamer at all.

As many people in videogame culture know, and few outside, Mike and Jerry are the creators and proprietors of fine internet comedy through their webcomic Penny-Arcade. I have followed their shenanigans for quite the longest time, and really it is their influence that turned a small time diversion of mine into a larger culture and way of life. Because of them I began to see videogames as a collaboration of so many different arts and sciences, a combination of so many different practices and specialties. In videogames I began to see artists, writers, programmers, actors, businessman, marketers, and finally game enthusiasts all. Games have evolved in my mind to the perfect combination of disciplines that create a beautiful creation of fun and love.

This all became apparent because two guys got together and decided to show the world how they saw videogames too. That is why I feel so elated when looking at Time Magazine, because it in a way legitimizes the efforts that videogames have come so far to prove, and that makes me a proud man. If people are interested you could pick up the latest issue, or for the super enthusiasts, you could go learn more about Penny Arcade and the guys who go by the names Gabe and Tycho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Achievement Hunter Weekly Update #13 (Week of May 24th, 2010)